For commercial writing follow this link.
James is enthusiastic about helping new writers to find their voice and existing authors to develop their writing. As part of his manuscript assessment service he:
- reads and annotates the manuscript
- makes suggestions for improvements on a broader structural level
- raises queries and edits on a page-by-page basis
- provides a written report which outlines strengths and weaknesses of the manuscript
“I can’t thank you enough for your very professional work in reviewing my writing. You have provided an in-depth ‘eye’ into my story and your comments have helped me with quite a few aspects I hadn’t fully seen. Of course, I’m completely in agreement with what you’ve noted which has ensured a great trust between us. Thank you so much. I feel Maria and Miss Curtis have been so well treated!” (Natalie Watson, Author)
Find out more
If you want to know more about James’s manuscript assessment service, you can arrange an informal discussion using this contact form.
Terms & Conditions
- For the fee JAE undertakes to provide a one-off independent critique as described in the Briefing Document
- If a report is deemed unclear JAE will seek to advise and clarify accordingly.
- JAE aims to provide an assessment within four (4) weeks but cannot guarantee this.
- JAE requires correct payment in order to process any submission.
- Your work will be treated in the strictest confidence.
- The copyright of your work is automatically yours and remains yours at all times.
- The copyright of the report remains with James Author Ellis Ltd.
- The Manuscript Assessment provided by JAE is a subjective assessment and it is wholly your responsibility and decision as to what use you make of it.
- Whilst receiving feedback is a sensitive process, JAE expects clients to behave in a professional manner and reserves the right to stop working with a client should their manner be offensive.
- Whilst JAE accepts that writing deals with subject matter of all kinds, JAE reserves the right not to process work deemed to be excessively and unacceptably offensive.
- Any amendments to the manuscript after it has been received by JAE must be agreed with JAE before they can be included in the assessment. An additional fee may be required.
- Once JAE has begun work on the assessment no refunds will be possible.
- In cases where you wish to lodge a complaint, please send a letter or email to JAE no earlier than one week after receiving your report. It would be helpful if any feedback of this nature be submitted to JAE no longer than six weeks after receipt of your report in order to help resolve issues whilst the text is relatively fresh in our minds.
- Manuscripts must be legible, preferably double-spaced, in 12 point font with page numbers inserted, and printed on single sides of A4, unbound and numbered.
- JAE cannot return your manuscript without a SAE with sufficient postage to cover the weight of your work. If no SAE is included, your manuscript will be confidentially recycled.
- Folders and plastic wallets will not be returned.
JAE cannot take responsibility for work lost in the post, so please ensure you have a back-up.
- This privacy notice tells you what to expect when James Author Ellis Ltd (JAE) collects personal information. JAE is committed to transparency around data collection.
- This policy applies to information JAE collects about people who apply for or use JAE’s Manuscript Assessment service.
- JAE will never share your data with third parties for marketing purposes without your consent.
- JAE is committed to safeguarding the privacy of writers using its services.
How JAE uses your personal data
JAE may process your personal data you provide in the course of an enquiry about, application for, or use of, JAE’s services (“service data”). The service data may include your name and contact details and profile information such as details about the nature of your literary work (title of manuscript, genre, length etc.). The service data may be processed for the purposes of providing JAE’s services and communicating with you. The legal basis for this processing is consent OR JAE’s legitimate interests, namely the proper administration of JAE’s business OR to administer your account and to provide the services that you have requested from JAE.
JAE may process information (such as testimonials or feedback) that you provide for publication on JAE’s website or through JAE’s services (“publication data”). The publication data may be processed for the purposes of enabling such publication. The legal basis for this processing is consent OR JAE’s legitimate interests, namely the proper administration of JAE’s business.
Providing your personal data to others
JAE does not share personal data with any third parties for marketing purposes or for any reasons beyond those reasonably necessary for JAE to conduct business and to provide JAE’s services.
Retaining and deleting personal data
JAE will retain your personal data only in order to provide the services you have requested. All Service Data will be deleted two months after completion of the service.
Third party services
JAE may use the following third party services for collecting, storing and/or processing data. They have their own privacy statements which JAE encourages you to read.
- MS Outlook
Under the Data Protection Act 1998, you have rights as an individual which you can exercise in relation to the information JAE holds about you. You can read more about these rights here:
This privacy notice was drafted with simplicity and clarity in mind. It does not provide exhaustive detail of all aspects of JAE’s collection and use of personal information. However, JAE is happy to provide any additional information or explanation needed. Any requests for this should be sent to the address below.
Access to personal information
You may instruct JAE to provide you with any personal information JAE holds about you; provision of such information will be subject to: the supply of appropriate evidence of your identity (for this purpose, JAE will usually accept a photocopy of your passport certified by a solicitor).
If JAE does hold information about you JAE will:
- give you a description of it
- tell you why it is being held
- tell you who it could be disclosed to
- let you have a copy of the information in an intelligible form
To make a request to JAE for any personal information JAE may hold you must put the request in writing and send it to the address provided below.
You can ask JAE to correct any mistakes by, once again, contacting JAE at the address below.
Changes to this privacy notice
JAE keeps this privacy notice under regular review. This privacy notice was last updated on 12th November, 2018.
How to contact JAE
James Author Ellis Ltd is registered in England and Wales under registration number 11406644 and the registered office is at Acre House, 11/15 William Road, London, United Kingdom, NW1 3ER.