James wrote the content for Sopra Steria’s UK Visas and Citizenship Application Services (UKVCAS). https://www.ukvcas.co.uk. He was responsible for:
- the copy for all location assets including posters and screen text
From 1999 to 2016 he worked for an outsourcing company called CSC Computer Sciences. For seven years he was CSC’s solution and programme director for the overseas visa application programme working alongside senior stakeholders in the UK, Australian and some Schengen governments. He was directly responsible for the in-country set up of visa application centres in the Americas, Western Europe, North Africa and the Middle East (including Iraq). He was subsequently responsible for providing business process outsourcing (BPO) proposals for all CSC’s visa-related public sector bids. He worked on a number of customer pursuits including those for the NHS, the MOD, the Home Office, FCO, BAE and the BBC.
Other roles at CSC included:
- principal consultant specialising in information design
- emerging technology practice manager
- solution director and proposal writer
- BPO solution designer for telehealth and coordinated healthcare
Prior to CSC, James worked at:
- TMS Information Solutions – designing information architectures and content strategies for public, private and NGO web sites
- Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) – designing the user experience for a retail banking platform. He was in the early cohort of writers developing the information using hypertext markup language (HTML)
- Philips Electronics BV – writing instruction manuals for harbour and airport radar installations, aircraft handling processes and packet assemblers/disassemblers
In the distant (and dim) past James shovelled wet concrete for a paving slab manufacturer, drove a 7.5 tonne tipper truck (badly), worked as an auxiliary nurse in a geriatric unit, briefly edited sports reports for a local newspaper, and was the user-liaison clerk for a Lloyds underwriting agency.